Monday, March 27, 2017

Meron Gets Reflective

Today, March 22nd, we started off the day by visiting the McKissick museum. The first exhibit was all about the history of medicine. I loved how it touched base on the origins of medicine. In addition, I loved how they talked about Western Medicine and African American Medicine. In my opinion, I felt like the museum did a very good job of covering a wide range of material. From the origins of medicine, to the holocaust and gems, they did a good job of bringing light to every topic. After the museum we took a tour of USC. The campus is beautiful but I still like UMD more. 

Lastly, we went to Eat Smart, Move More. Personally, to me it brought back good memories! I loved how the staff knew the students very well. I noticed how the center was strong on religion. During their meal they said grace first. Also, in the classroom, there were multiple things on the wall that said God. In Maryland, you don't usually see that. After helping the students with there work we talked to the facilitator. She explained that the community is a majority low income area. In addition, she shared with us how the local grocery store was closed. Being that the community is struggling, the fact that they closed down the store makes it worse! How are people supposed to eat healthy and purchase food if they have to travel long distances! Its really unfair! 


After that, we ended our day by heading back to the church. At the church we got the chance to have dinner with the locals and attend a service. I found the service to being moving and great! The pastor was very welcoming and engaging! Overall, the community is very welcoming and you can definitely see the southern hospitality in Columbia! 

No comments:

Post a Comment